- Buitkiene J.
The paper aims to throw some light upon the differences in structuring texts in the process of translation. These differences are connected with certain variations on the surface level of FT (text cohesion), while it is assumed that the deep structure of ST (text coherence) has to be preserved in the process of translation. The Lithuanian poetic text and its translations into English and Russian were analyzed. The obtained data show that the translators allowed for certain modifications on the surface level of the discourse that manifest themselves most clearly in the omissions, additions and alterations.
How to link insert
Buitkiene, J. . (2008). TRANSLATING POETIC DISCOURSE Bulletin of the Moscow City Pedagogical University. Series "Pedagogy and Psychology", # 3, 2008,
1. Bakhtin M. M. Aesthetics of verbal creativity. М., 1979.
2. Bakhtin M. M. The problem of speech genres // Theory of discourse / Edited by A. Yavorsky and N. Copeland. - London and New York, 2000.
3. Blum-Kulka S. Shifts in coherence and coherence in translation / A Reader in Translation Studies / Edited by L. Venuti. - London and New York, 2001.
4. Bonnefoy J. Translation of poetry // Theories of translation: an anthology of essays from Dryden to Derrida / Edited by R. Schulte and J. Bigunet. - University of Chicago Press, 1992.
5. Connolly D. Poetic translation //Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Studies. - London and New York, 2005.
6. Gutwinski W. Cohesion in fiction texts: a study of some grammatical and lexical features of English discourse. - The Hague, 1974.
7. Hatim B. and Mason I. Discourse and the translator. - London & New York, 1994.
8. Howie M. & Houghton D. Contrastive analysis and translation // The Routledge Encyclopedia of Translation Studies. - London & New York, 2005.
9. Jakobson R. On the linguistic aspects of translation // Theories of translation: an anthology of essays from Dryden to Derrida / Edited by R. Schulter and J. Biguenet. - University of Chicago Press, 1992.
10. 10. Nabokov V. Problems of Translation: Onegin in English //The Translation Studies Reader / Ed. by L. Venuti. - London and New York, 2001.
11. Nida E. A. Towards the Science of Translation with special reference to the Principles and Procedures Used in Bibie Transitating. - Leiden, 1964.
12. Vabalienė D. "Anikshiu shilelis" English // Pergale. - 1982. -№ 3. - Р. 177-189 .
13. Widdowson H. G. Text, context, and preposition: critical issues in course analysis. - Blackwell Publishing Ltd., 2004.